Tuesday, May 10, 2005

Get Me To the Church on Time

What a whirlwind weekend I had, my buddy got married! After all this time, and a few near-Mrs., he finally gets the girl. I couldn't be happier for them.


THURS / FRI
It all started with the rehearsal on Thursday followed by tux fitting on Friday. The rehearsal went smoothly, except Bridesmaid #4 hadn't arrived until the good Father had all of us lined-up for the entrances. Then #4 arrived, or should I say spilled into the aisle, plodding towards Bridey. "I'm ssssooooo hhhaaaap-eeeee!" The poor thing recently turned 21 and evidently is still diligently practicing her drunken diction. Needs work.

Luckily, most thought she was just a bubbly girl overcome with emotion, rather than emotionally disturbed overcome by bubbly. The evening was topped-off by the restaurant screwing-up the bride's order. After that, a good time was had by all.

The tux fitting could have been better, this tux shop is small-town and run by mama. Evidently mama can't double-check anything. I'm a 48 long jacket, and I put the coat on and thought it to be comfortably roomy until I tried to button the thing.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Heh-heh! What a sense of humor those folks at After Hours Tuxedos have, sending a good ol' 54 for me. A touch huge. Then, to boot, the vest was cartoonishly large. A whopping 2XL. Mama pulls out the measurements which were faxed to her, and there by the jacket my 48 is crossed off and 54 is written in its place. Mysterious, no?

SATURDAY, THE BIG ONE
Thanks to After Hours Tuxedos (as well as a thoroughly disappointing rental shop,) a return trip on the day of the wedding is in order. This is after a traditional round of golf is squeezed into the morning, plus the 1 hour round trip, not to mention dropping Groomsman# 4 back at his mother's house so he can then gather his family to head for the hotel where the Groom's party is to meet. On my way to the hotel I grab lunch and gas up, because I'm not quite pressed enough for time.

Wouldn't you know it, everything Saturday went flawlessly!

They kissed!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

They toasted!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

They're not gay! Here comes the happy couple. . .
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Now that that's outta the way, after the reception ended things got a bit out of hand. It seems the hotel lounge was having some sort of "Parrot-head" party, complete with a Buffett-esque band playing beach tunes and swim toys. Don't ask.
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


As always, a happy ending!
Image Hosted by ImageShack.us
DISMISSED!

7 comments:

Naughti Biscotti said...

I've been trying to post comments to your blog for 2 days now.
Just wanted to tell you that you got me on the gay thing. I was a bit worried. And then...I wasn't sure if maybe you were one of the gay grooms. Glad everything turned out okay.
I have posted a link to your blog and will be back more often.
Great writing.

Jim said...

Glad your posts made it Shandi, luv your input.

Isn't it great how sometimes things just seem to come together? I always did my best work cramming for finals, and late-night blogging seems no different. The pictures were just begging to tell the story. I'm just glad you had the sisu to read to the end!

Naughti Biscotti said...

I'm just lov'n the picture storytelling thing. I've got a few in the works.
Thanks for posting hysterical comments on my blog.

ssas said...

Are you REALLY a pirate or do you just play one on tv?

True Jersey Girl said...

Ha ha, a few "near mrs."....very cute! Looks like a fun wedding and a good time.

Thanks for visiting me, come back any time!!

The Complimenting Commenter said...

Entertaining post. I think it would've been even better if the jacket had been four sizes too small. Now that would've been a picture. Nice job.

Jim said...

Arrr! I take me Captain-n-Cokes with limeys!