Friday, January 13, 2006

Good Ol' Sol

It is truly amazing what a sunny day can do to knock S.A.D. back a few steps. It's freaking unbelievable what a sunny day that's 50 degrees can do. I can't even imagine how weird that must make the wonderful folks in places like San Diego and Key West feel to hear someone excited about 50 degrees. Probably about as weird as I felt one time down in Orlando when I sat on a bench in front of our hotel reading the paper, enjoying the 8a.m. sunshine in a t-shirt and jeans, when I looked over and noticed the valet shivvering in a buttoned-up shearling jacket and knit skully. Ferreal!

Today was one of those days that, no matter how much stress is building at work, all was right in the world thanks to our good friend the sun. Even the gloomy December statistics I heard today couldn't dampen nature's enthusiasm: Less than 10% of possible sunshine, 18 days without one minute of sunshine, and we've had 50 straight days with measurable precipitation. That last one is a record-breaker; the old record was only 35 consecutive days.

I'm starting to give some serious thought to a career change and becoming a shrink, there has GOT to be some serious money being spent on couch sessions around here. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Peace.

And sunshine!

3 comments:

CozyMama said...

hey there, I have not been over here in awhile. I enjoy the sun everyday here cuz I know what it is like to be where you are.

Jaime said...

AMEN to that!
I was nervous about my due date since I am always depressed in the winter - I can only hope we'll get just a few days like this sprinkled in to the mix post-pardum! Atleast now I have hope!

Jim said...

Jodes, good to hear from Sunny D again! Remind me what it's like in a few days, we're back under the blanket here.

Jaime- No P-P for you, not with a tres cool name like that. Many blessings to you.

Jen- I bet that walk was awesome, I had a few good ones with the dog, and an awesome hot tub under the full moon last night. All I can say now is BRRRRRR! Oh well, at least there's some color in my cheeks now.