Monday, August 22, 2005

Reminder of Yester-year: Oh, those college days

After reading Randi's post, I went to go see The Man known as Van's website. He had a post about a time in his past where he got quite a surprise in the bathroom, and it was all caught on film. This got me to thinking about something that happened waayyy back in college (cue the Wayne & Garth wavy flashback video. Duh-duh-duh-do, duh-duh-duh-do, duh-duh-duh-do...)

It was Friday, early March. I was in my second year at a regional college in Michigan. By this time I had learned the importance of scheduling classes only on Monday through Thursday, so Fridays were always free. It was a tough lesson that I learned my very first term when I had scheduled 8am classes on M-W-F. Kids, don't make that mistake. My grades were horrible that term, the worst grades I've ever had. Anywho, back to the news.

So after learning my lesson about Fridays, I was enjoying this crisp, sunny day to the fullest. The ground was still covered with snow, and the light pouring in my apartment window when I finally got out of bed was blinding at first. During this time of year the air is heavy with anticipation; snow is going to melt, the air will warm and you can't help but feel the movement of the seasons as you are brushed by a moist, dense spring breeze.

After taking care of some homework I decided to head out for some lunch. Just as I exited my apartment I bumped into some friends also going for some grub so I hitched a ride to BK with them. On our way back to campus, Benny (who lived with his parents just off campus) mentioned that he had rented Amadeus and Vision Quest, so we all went over to his place and watched movies for about five hours.

Near the end of our little film festival, I remembered that my buddy Paul from back home was coming up to visit that day. In a panic, I called his parents to try to find out where he was. (You have to remember, this was back before cell phones were common except on shows like Dallas or Knight Rider.) In talking with his Dad, he told me that Paul got a late start and don't worry, I would be back at my apartment before Paul would arrive. He even sounded confident, but I didn't want to let my buddy down.

Of course, after scrambling back to my darkened apartment I was sure I would find Paul banging the door down. My roomate had plans, and the other two guys were going to be out of town. There was no way for Paul to get into my apartment. As I turned and entered the hallway to my apartment there was no sign of him. The girls two doors down must have been having a party, at least it sounded like that as I walked by their closed door. I entered my apartment and it was just like I left it: dark , cold and empty. I set about putting my coat and some other things away when after a few moments there was a knock on the door.

It was Kari from the aforementioned apartment two doors down. They were having some friends over and wanted to know if I wanted to join them. I explained that I was waiting for a friend to show up, but Kari was able to convince me that we'd be able to keep an eye out for him and as he'd have to walk by their door to get to my apartment we'd for sure see him. What can I say? I'm easily convinced so I gladly followed Kari over to their door and followed her in. What happened next was unexpected to say the least. I had never been attacked with such speed and vigor, for as soon as the door opened out flowed a h-fn-uge "SURPRISE!"

My mind went blank, what did they just say? I swear I must have grimaced, I had never experienced such a rush before. The place was packed wall to wall, too. Upon looking around, there were many of my friends present, and Paul was there as well. From the ceiling hung a sign that read "Happy Birthday Vik and Jim", it was a joint party for Susies boyfriend as well (which explained the size of the crowd. I didn't have THAT many friends!)

"How'd they do that?" I wondered. To this day I still wonder. I mean it's been almost 20 years since that day so I'm entitled to forget some things, but these guys were good. "How good?" you ask? Get this- the whole day was not under my control from the moment I stepped out of my apartment. Yes, I said THE WHOLE DAY. Benny was in on it and removed my corpse from the scene so the crime could take place. Kari and Susie somehow got my friend Paul involved in advance, and I have no idea how they got his phone number as his parents were unlisted.

It was an extremely special day, and it is difficult to think of another thing that someone has done for me that could out-rank that party. It was a wonderful surprise, and the party just plain rocked for hours. Of course, I needed no convincing that I was going to have a good time. And that I did. I can't find any pictures from that day, but this is a recent one that duplicates the feeling.

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us


If you get the chance, plan one for someone you know. It may be the experience of a lifetime for them, I know it was for me. Hell, you never know, you might just be planning one for me!

9 comments:

Purring said...

I love the change of seasons. It's something I would miss if I moved from Wisconsin. Sounds like and AWESOME day! You have good friends.

Jim said...

Ditto Kari- Seasons make life up here great. Do they say "up here" in Wisconsin?

Randi@SowderingAbout said...

i am glad that van could inspire you!!! great story!!!!

Mike Todd said...

SURPRISE!! I left you a comment. It's the best I could do from here.

teri said...

What an awesome feeling that must have been. Great post!! oh and yes btw... thanks for the link.

jenbeauty said...

I thought I had left a comment Jim! Did you delete it???

I really hate surprise parties but think it is really cool that your friends were able to pull this off.

Jim said...

Don't recall one from ya Jen. (Unless you're the spammer. . . ) But thanks for making sure!

The Blogger Formally Known As Van! said...

you so naughty!

Jim said...

He's alive! Word was Van got swept of the pier or sum-tin.